jueves, 21 de julio de 2011

Possibilities, but without resources

Sorry I have been gone so long. I guess I got occupied. I still love volunteering although my lessons still suck. I tell Renee that I am bad teacher but she says I may be bad, but I am good volunteer because I care. I  feel like that is true. I really do love my kids and want to help them even though they frustrate me sometimes. Now that I have been volunteering for over a month and have had the same class I am really learning the dynamics of my students. My students are ALWAYS changing. One day you might have prepared a lesson more geared towards the interests of the class you had the day before. Then you show up to class and there is only one student that is the same. Either way, I have a student who is a really bad reader and writer. Everyday I stay after class with her and read. She really reminds me of why this foundation is pretty necessary in barrios like Oasis. I did notice she is super creative. We painted masks that we had made before and she really thought out the design. It ended up being simple but elegant.
One thing that really kills me is I see real potential in the kids I work with, but without the right resources, they wont be able to cultivate it. For example, I was helping the volunteers who organize the weekly talks for the women in the community keep the kids from interrupting. I was watching some of the boys pretty much pole vault with a stick they had found. I thought wow, if a track coach had ever seen what I just saw these kids do, they would snatch them up and put them on their team. Another one is, I have a kid who is very advanced in math and likes to mess with my cell phone (engineer?) but how is he every going to afford an education? I dont know how financial aid works here, but I doubt it would be free. And my nearly illiterate student, from the little I have seen, she is very thought out in her creative work. I could see her going in arts, design or something, but she just needs to know that money is out there for those who try to cultivate the things that they are good at. Another student I have, who usually is a disruption, but a happy one, smiles all the time, and has no fear to preform or anything like that. I see him as an actor or someone in tourism or something like that. I wish I could bring recruiters for those kinds of things to barrios like this one. I suppose everyone has some potential, but not everyone has the resources.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario